The Video Note tool allows instructors and students to easily record quick videos. These videos can be used for a variety of purposes:
- Giving students video feedback on an assignment or discussion post
- Conducting asynchronous video discussions
- Submitting a video assignment
For instructors, Video Note is available in the Announcements, Assignments, Content, Discussions, Grades, Quizzes, Rubrics, and Survey tools. Students can use Video Note primarily in the Assignments and Discussions tools.
Please note that Video Notes do not allow you to record your screen. Therefore, they are not recommended for recording asynchronous video presentations. For video presentations, we instead recommend using D2L Capture.
Step 1. There are two main ways to access the Video Notes:
- In a text editor, click the Insert Stuff button in the top left corner of the editor. A pop-up window will open. In this pop-up window, you can select Add Video Note.
- When providing Assignment feedback, posting in the Discussions tool, or submitting a video as an Assignment, you can attach a Video Note by clicking the Record Video button. For assignment feedback, this button is found under the Feedback text box. For discussions, this button is found in the Attachments area. For assignment submissions, this button is found in the Submit Assignment area.
Step 2. Once you open the Video Note tool, you will see your webcam feed and a button that says New Recording. Once you click New Recording, you will begin recording your video. The time limit is 30 minutes. When you are done recording, click the Stop Recording Button.
Step 3. After you stop recording, your video will play back automatically. If you are happy with it, click Add to proceed to the next step. If you want to record it again, click New Recording again to start a new recording.
Step 4. After you click "Add," you will be prompted to enter a (a) Title, (b) Description, and (c) Audio Language for your recording. Enter this information and then click the “Automatically generate captions from audio” check box if desired (recommended). Then click Add to finish your video and attach it or insert it into the text editor.
Step 5. Finally, Save/Post/Publish your content or feedback for students to see it.