- What's New
- Course Planning & Content
- Activating Your Course
- Changing Your Course Image
- D2L Capture
- Enhancing Content
- Learning Object Repository
- My Courses Widget
- Release Conditions
- Respondus Dashboard
- Creating a Quiz
- Adding Questions
- Randomizing Questions
- Adding Special Access
- Setting a Submission View
- Submitting a Quiz for a Student
- Grading & Quiz Statistics
- Previewing a Quiz
- Collaboration & Communication
- Adobe Connect
March 2019 (version 10.8.11)
Assignments - Improvements in Assignments | Updated
This feature includes the following improvements:
- Learners can now submit .cs file types as assignment submissions.
- The Publish All Feedback on Anonymized Assignment Submission permission has been renamed to Publish All Feedback on Assignments. When the permission is turned on for the instructor role, instructors can publish draft assignment feedback in bulk by clicking Publish All Feedback.
Rubrics - Rubric icon criteria changed | Updated
Rubrics - Override criteria scores before selecting a level | Updated
February 2019 (version 10.8.10)
Turnitin - Link to e-rater ® Grammar feedback | New
Instructors can now turn on the e-rater Grammar checker, developed by ETS ®, in Brightspace Learning Environment.
Once turned on by an instructor, learners are provided a link to e-rater Grammar feedback upon submission of an assignment. This enables learners to review Grammar feedback immediately on assignment submission, which is important for assignments that allow for multiple submissions. Learners can initially submit an assignment, receive Grammar feedback, and then submit another version of their assignment after incorporating the Grammar feedback.
Figure: Enable e-rater Grammar checker
Figure: View e-rater Grammar feedback link
January 2019 (version 10.8.9)
Assignments - Improvements to Assignments List view | Updated
When accessing Assignments, the list view now displays updated information. Previously instructors would see information on the assignment name, Total Submissions, Unread Submissions, Flagged Submissions, and Due Date. Now instructors see information on the assignment name, the number of learners who have completed the assignment, the number of learners who have been evaluated, the number of learners who have had feedback published, and the Due Date. This allows instructors to quickly determine what assignments they need to evaluate, how far along they are with their evaluations, and if they have published the evaluations.
Learners also have an updated view of the assignments list, and are now able to see the assignment name, the Completion Status (Not Submitted, Submitted, Completed), their Score, The Evaluation Status (Not yet evaluated, Feedback: unread, Feedback: read), and the Due Date. This change to the list view allows learners to easily locate unfinished assignments, as well as access their scores and view instructor feedback on their work.
Figure: Existing Assignments list view for instructors
Figure: New Assignments list view for instructors
Figure: Existing Assignments list view for learners
Figure: New Assignments list view for learners
Groups - Create new submission types | Updated
The new On paper and Observed in person submission types available in Assignments can now be created from the Groups tool.
HTML Editor - Descriptive error message for quicklinks to unavailable activities | Updated
A specific error message now appears to users who click a quicklink to an activity that is outside the availability dates (not yet available or no longer available). The error message appears for the following unavailable activity types:
- Announcements items
- Calendar events
- Chat sessions (if the user is not part of a group chat)
- ePortfolio (for items that not shared to the user)
- External learning tools links
- Templates (that are not available in the current org unit)
- Groups (with expired self enrollment option)
This feature builds on a previous feature of 10.8.6 that added a specific error message for some course activities. With this feature, the specific error message, "Unavailable Quicklink. The <activity type> is not available" appears for many additional course activities.
Intelligent Agents - Export agent run history to CSV | New
Intelligent Agent run history, previously only visible in Brightspace Learning Environment, can now be exported to a CSV file. The export can include all agents or a specific agent. It can also include runs made during a specified date range. This feature allows instructors to better track learners that are triggering Intelligent Agents.
Rubrics - Improved rubric creation experience| Updated
To improve on the new rubric creation experience, rubric creation has been changed to a single-page workflow. Clicking New in the Rubrics tool immediately brings the user to the rubric authoring page. As well, the two previous Rubric Tool options Properties and Levels and Criteria are now condensed into a single Edit option.
Figure: The new rubric creation experience in the single page format.
Figure: The new Edit Rubric Tool option, replacing Properties and Levels and Criteria.
December 2018 (version 10.8.8)
Assignments - Change assignment and submission type | New
If no learner submissions have been made to an assignment, instructors can change the assignment type and submission type. This allows for existing assignments to be modified without the need to create a new assignment.
Assignments - Evaluate submissions by clicking learner names | New
On the Submissions page, instructors can now click on a learner's name to access the Evaluate Submission page. Previously this action allowed instructors to email learners. Emails can still be sent from the Submissions page by selecting the check box beside a learner's name, and clicking Email.
Assignments - Improved evaluation experience | Updated
The Evaluate Submission page has been updated to improve the evaluation experience for instructors with the following features:
- To download a submission, instructors now click on the submission's file name.
- The Markup Document button has been replaced by a Launch Turnitin link for assignments that have Turnitin enabled.
- The Publish and Save Draft buttons now display at the bottom of the page and are not confined to the Evaluation and Feedback pane.
- An additional link to access the Next Student now displays next to the Publish and Save Draftbuttons at the bottom of the page.
Figure: Download submissions by selecting the file name, and markup documents using the Launch Turnitin button
Figure: Publish, Save Draft, and Next Student options grouped together at the bottom of the Evaluate Submission page
Content - Create new assignment submission types | Updated
On paper and Observed in person assignment submission types can now be created directly from Content. On paper assignments are completed by learners offline and submitted directly to instructors. Observed in person assignments, such as class presentations, do not require written work to be submitted but can be evaluated using the tools available in Assignments.
Course Builder - Create new assignment submission types | Updated
Instructors can now use Course Builder to create On paper and Observed in person assignment submission types.
Discussions - Improvements to the rubrics grading experience | New
Grading with rubrics in Discussions now offers new functions and an improved workflow. The new design makes for an easier grading experience and is optimized for use on mobile devices.
New rubrics features include:
- All rubric assessments and feedback updates for discussions and grade items now automatically save in draft state while updates are in progress
- Rubrics in draft state are not visible to learners until the instructor selects Save & Publish, at which time learners can immediately view their feedback from Assignments, Content, Discussions, Grades and User Progress
- Instructors can choose to bulk publish feedback to all or select users at once, such as for an entire class or group
- New Retract Feedback option enables instructors to remove published feedback from view of learners for changes to the Total Score. The Overall Score and Overall Feedback portions of the rubric can be edited without retraction
- A grading pop-up window for easier grading that contains all rubrics for the discussion, a place to enter Overall Feedback, and a list of posts that the student has made
- When grading on mobile devices, vertical margins are reduced for easier viewing
Quizzes - Add initial text to Written Response questions | New
Instructors can add initial text to Written Response questions in the new Question Experience. Previously instructors could not add initial text into the answers for Written Response questions.
Quizzes - Opt-in for New Quiz Experience removed | New
The opt-in configuration variable d2l.Tools.Quizzes.NewQuizExperienceOpt-In is now removed from the Config Variable Browser. Users can no longer opt out of the new quiz experience.
Rubrics - Improved rubric creation experience | New
To offer instructors a more streamlined approach to authoring rubric levels and criteria, this release introduces a new, opt-in rubric creation experience. Specifically, the Rubrics tool includes the following enhancements:
- Quickly create and edit rubric levels and criteria inline using an auto-save experience
- Easily change rubric type and scoring method during rubric creation
- Re-order criterion via drag and drop or keyboard
- Improved logic for point-based rubrics, where new levels automatically follow existing point scoring sequences
- Individual criterion cells in custom point rubrics dynamically scale when editing the criterion out-of value
- Overall Score is visually separated from the rubric, displaying in its own section
Figure: The new rubric creation experience
November 2018 (version 10.8.7)
Assignments - Anonymous Marking in Brightspace | Updated
Assignments - Evaluate submissions page displays in full screen | New
The Evaluate Submission page no longer displays navbar links. This provides instructors with more screen space to view and evaluate assignments.
Content - Add existing assignments to content | Updated
Video Note - Closed caption support | New
Widgets - Visual updates to My Courses Widget course tiles | Updated
To provide added value and ease of use to the My Courses widget, the following changes are now available with the widget course cards:
- New status indicator for Inactive and Closed states for courses
- Cleaner layout of course name, code, semester, and dates
- Course notifications are sorted by tool. When a user hovers on the notification icons, a tooltip provides more information.
The My Courses Widget now displays a status badge for courses and sorts notifications by type
October 2018 (version 10.8.6)
Assignments – Anonymized learner names | New
To avoid unconscious bias in the grading and feedback process, instructors can now configure assignments to use anonymous learner names. When the feature is turned on, instructors can only see an anonymized learner name on the assignment submission.
Assignments - New assignment types | New
On paper submission and Observed in person assignment submission types are now available in Assignments. These new assignment submission types do not require users to make a file submission for them to be completed. This allows instructors to create assignments for a wide variety of activities, not just written work, and provide evaluation and feedback for these assignments.
On paper assignments are submitted directly to instructors in class, but allow evaluation and feedback to be completed in Brightspace. A presentation can also be observed in person and evaluated in Brightspace. Both new assignments can be marked as complete by learners, automatically marked as complete on their due date, or marked as complete upon evaluation by the instructor, depending on how the assignment is configured.
The properties tab interface has also been updated to simplify the work flow when creating assignments.
Figure: On paper submission and Observed in person submission types
Figure: Marked as completed options for Observed in person assignments
Figure: Marked as completed options for On paper submissions
Content - Send to Binder | Removed
Located on the Table of Contents page in the Content tool, the Send to Binder option allows learners to send course content to their Brightspace Binder accounts to review offline. With Brightspace Binder approaching end-of-life status, the Send to Binder option from the Content tool will no longer be available as of November 1, 2018.
To access course materials offline, learners can use the Brightspace Pulse mobile app.
HTML Editor - Descriptive error message for quicklinks to unavailable course activities| New
A specific error message now appears to users who click a quicklink to a course activity that is outside the availability dates (not yet available or no longer available). The error message appears for the following unavailable activity types:
- Content modules
- Content topics
- Discussion topics
Previously, when clicking a quicklink to unavailable activities, users received a non-specific error page that did not clarify the reason they could not access the activity. The updated messaging for unavailable course activities now aligns with existing messages for unavailable quizzes and surveys.
Figure: The new error message that appears when users click a quicklink to an unavailable course activity
Quizzes- Auto-save during quiz taking | New
Learners' quiz responses are now automatically saved during the quiz taking process. For forced response questions (such as Multiple Choice and True or False), learner responses are saved automatically when they select the radio button or checkbox. Text input questions autosave every 10 to 15 seconds, and html-enabled questions save when the mouse cursor is clicked outside the quiz response input area. Autosave sends save timestamps to the quizzing log, as the manual save function previously did. For quizzes with multiple pages, quiz responses automatically save upon navigating to a new quiz page. The Save all Responses and Go to Submit Quiz buttons have been removed, and are no longer visible on the quiz page. The only button now visible on the quiz page is Submit Quiz. If internet connectivity is lost during the quiz-taking process, learners can answer questions but are unable to autosave questions or submit the quiz until the connection is restored.
Figure: The autosave function as it appears beside questions, and a simplified left navigation panel
Quizzes - Removal of Rubrics | Updated
Instructors can no longer attach a rubric to a quiz or grade rubrics already attached to a quiz.
Any data stored in rubrics is retained.
Rubrics - Improvements to features and workflows in the rubrics grading experience in Assignments | New
Grading with rubrics in Assignments now offers new functions and an improved workflow and design that makes for an easier grading experience and is optimized for use on mobile devices.
New rubrics features include:
- Rubrics that automatically save in Draft state while updates are in progress. Rubrics in Draft state are not visible to learners until rubric feedback is published, at which time learners can view their feedback from Assignments, Content, Discussions, Grades and User Progress
- Ability to assess rubrics individually or assess all rubrics in the same grading workflow
- Separate rubric Total and Overall Score areas. The Total is a numeric value that is automatically calculated, and the value is populated in Grades. The Overall Score indicates level of achievement and is editable by the instructor
Note that the new features and workflow only apply to grading rubrics without associated Learning Objectives. If Learning Objectives are associated with a rubric, the classic rubrics grading workflow remains in place. In addition, the new rubric grading workflow does not yet apply for group assignments.
September 2018 (version 10.8.5)
- Grade Released
- Grade Unreleased
August 2018 (version 10.8.4)
Quizzes - New quizzing experience default status set to 'on (opt-in)' | Updated
The default status of the d2l.Tools.Quizzes.NewQuizExperienceOpt-In configuration variable is now set to ‘on (opt-in)’. This allows instructors to toggle the new quizzing experience in their courses to familiarize themselves with the new user interface and workflow changes. The ‘off’ value for the d2l.Tools.Quizzes.NewQuizExperienceOpt-In configuration variable has been removed.
Quizzes – Dynamic preview available in question pools | New
Question pools now include a dynamic preview. The preview displays questions randomly selected from the current question pool. A refresh button allows instructors to navigate through several selections to ensure the question pool is working as expected.
Rubrics - Improvements to rubric feedback for learners | Updated
To provide learners with more detailed feedback on activities and apply a consistent look and feel to rubric feedback, this release includes the following improvements:
- User Progress displays general feedback, score, and a graded rubric for Grades, Discussions and Assignments. Feedback displays to learners as soon as instructors save rubric and overall feedback assessment
- Content tool for Assignments displays general feedback, score, and a graded rubric. This replaces the previously displayed Instructor Feedback.
July 2018 (version 10.8.3)
Assignments - New Text Submission type and workflow | New
Instructors can now create Text Submission assignment types in Brightspace Learning Environment. The new Text Submission type allows learners to create text documents for submission directly in Assignments using a rich text editor, eliminating the need to attach a file. Previously, learners had to create documents outside of Brightspace Learning Environment, then add them as attachments to their submissions within Assignments. This feature enables learners to work directly within Brightspace Learning Environment, allowing for a simpler workflow and standard file type submissions.
Figure: Instructors can now select Text submission as part of the workflow to create a New Submission Folder
Figure: The Text Submission editor appears directly on the Submit Assignment page for learners
Brightspace Daylight Experience - Improved widget style for homepages | Updated
System and custom widgets now display more prominently against homepage backgrounds. The new widget container style appears by default for both system and custom widgets. Administrators may temporarily opt out of this stylistic change until October 2018. Administrators and instructors with permission to create and edit custom widgets may continue to opt out of the new container style using the Style this widget option for custom widgets only. D2L maintains control of the system widget style.
Figure: The new widget styles appear as white cards, with 20px of space between the top, bottom, left and right edges of the card and the content. There is a subtle gray background color for the homepage
Quizzes – Removal of image and text information items | New
As images and text can be included in any type of question using the features of the HTML editor, there is no longer a need for image and text information items. Image and text information items in existing quizzes or question libraries convert into sections, and are still displayed to learners attempting the quiz. One section is created for each existing image or text information item. Once the conversion of existing image and text information items is complete, the ability to create new image and text information items is no longer available.
During the question conversion process the following actions occur:
- Each image and text information item is converted to an individual section
- If the information item included a title, that is used for the section title
- If the information item did not include a title, one is automatically generated using the format: Untitled [converted from a Text Information Item], or Untitled [converted from an Image Information Item]
- The setting to show the Section title to learners is set to off
- The setting to show Section text to students is set to on
- For text information items, the Question Text field is set as the Section Text field
- For image information items, the Section Text consist of an image tag, followed by the Caption text. If there was a Description for the image, it is included as the alt text of the image.
June 2018 (version 10.8.2)
Copy Course Components - Date Offset | New
Grades – Linked discussion threads are now available | New
Groups and Sections - Interface improvements on Enroll Users page | New
HTML Editor – Emoticons available | New
Quizzes – Question pools replace random sections | New
Rubrics - Control rubric visibility for learners | New
Rubrics - Improvements to rubric feedback for learners | New
Rubrics - Display graded rubric feedback In Gradebook | New
Rubrics - New interface for previewing rubric definitions | New
May 2018 (version 10.8.1)
Grades - Locked Name column and header row | New
Manage Dates - Improvements to the Manage Dates tool | Updated
April 2018 (version 10.8.0)