- What's New
- Course Planning & Content
- Activating Your Course
- Changing Your Course Image
- D2L Capture
- Enhancing Content
- Learning Object Repository
- My Courses Widget
- Release Conditions
- Respondus Dashboard
- Creating a Quiz
- Adding Questions
- Randomizing Questions
- Adding Special Access
- Setting a Submission View
- Submitting a Quiz for a Student
- Grading & Quiz Statistics
- Previewing a Quiz
- Collaboration & Communication
- Adobe Connect
Respondus Lockdown Browser
Respondus LockDown Browser® is a web browser that increases the security of online testing in the D2L Learning Environment. When students are required to use Respondus LockDown Browser to access a quiz, they are unable to print, copy, go to another web site, or access other applications. Students can be locked into a quiz until it is submitted for grading.
To begin, click on Quizzes from the Assessment menu and select LockDown Browser.
After the page loads, a list of your Quizzes for this course will appear. Click the drop-down menu to the left of the quiz name and select Modify Settings.
1. Click Require Respondus Lockdown Browser for this exam to require students to take the exam using LockDown Browser.
2. Optional: you may check off the box here to require student's to view quiz feedback and results using LockDown Browser. To learn more about reviewing Quizzes with your students, view the Submission Views page.
3. Optional: you may create a password that students must enter to start the quiz. You as the instructor would then need to provide this password to the students.
4. If you are finished, click Save and Close. Your students will now be required to use LockDown Browser. Continue reading if you would like to learn about the Advanced Settings.
After clicking on Advanced Settings, there are three options:
1. Lock students into the browser unil exam is completed: select this option to prevent students from exiting LockDown Browser before the quiz is submitted. This setting is only recommended if the quiz is being proctored by an instructor. When this option is selected you will have the option to set a password that can be entered into the student's browser to exit the quiz early. This is best used for a proctored exam when the proctor has the ability to enter the password.
If this option is NOT selected, a student is able to exit the browser if their internet connection fails or for any other emergency. A student will be warned twice before being able to close the browser. The student will also be prompted to enter their reason for exiting the quiz early. The student's response will be available to the instructor from the Respondus Dashboard under Review Early Exits on the drop-down menu next to the quiz name.
2. Allow students to take this exam with an iPad: the iPad edition of LockDown Browser (available from iTunes) enables a student to use an iPad to take exams that require LockDown Browser. Students should follow this iPad LockDown Browser Guide to setup and use the app to take quizzes.
3. Allow specific students to access this exam with screen readers: this setting will allow specific students to access the quiz with screen reader accesibility programs. You will be asked to enter the students D2L username if this option is selected.